this post goes out to hub, one of the few and faithful bloggers out there that always seems to come up with some worthwhile stuff.
she had a post with five things she had recently discovered about herself, one of which struck a chord with me because of it’s relevance to popular music. i’ll expand on that later, for right now i’m going to go back to an old tradition on my blog, the top ten list. without further ado, here are my…
TOP TEN RECENT SELF DISCOVERIES
10. i can handle country music if it’s really really old and makes modern nashville fans squirm. the cuz bought an old buck owens cd the other day and i’ve been rocking out to some old country for the past few days. i’m not sure why i like it, but it does get me some crazy looks from my kiddos and my neighbors when i roll up blaring some country twang.
9. newton’s first law is true for me as well; an object at rest tends to stay at rest until acted upon by an other object. if i don’t accomplish something constructive in the first hour of my day, the likeliness of me completing everything i wanted to do the rest of the day is pretty low. on the other hand, if i get up and get moving the second i’m at work i tend to get some crazy stuff done.
8. i’m a bi-polar neat freak. i think i’ve actually known this for a while, but never really put it into words. there are times where i go on a cleaning rampage and keep things in all kinds of order, and the there are times where its just good to see stuff all over the place.
7. my hobby is finding new hobbies. i have a long list of things that i would consider hobbies: guitar, songwriting, drawing, stenciling, painting, sculpting, photography, graphic design, baseball, golf, bike riding, hiking, snowboarding, watching movies, reading… the list goes on. here’s the thing, i may not be the best at any one of those hobbies, but i have a legitimate interest in all of them. i think my hobby is going back and forth between all of them.
6. i feed off of my friends. not in a bad way, but i really get most of my inspiration and energy when i’m around my friends that kind of spur me on.
5. i can’t handle when a picture isn’t level. if i see something that isn’t level i go right over and fix it without saying a word. lawdog is the biggest victim of this because i am constantly adjusting the pictures in his office.
4. i really really really really don’t care about soccer. i tried to be open minded and watch a few of the world cup games and i think i like soccer less now. how can a game end in a tie? and anyone who says baseball is boring to watch and then tries to tell me that 75 minutes of a 0-0 game where guys kick a ball back and forth is exciting has lost their mind. seriously, i tried, i don’t get it. soccer is lame.
3. i’m a flake. i need to learn the difference between i would like to do something vs. i can do something. i have a feeling that if you know me then i don’t really need to explain this one. sorry.
2. recently, i am much more aware of the spiritual presence in seemingly mundane situations.
1. i still have a lot to figure out.
so going back to hub’s post, she mentioned how she preferred bob dylan songs to be covered, rather than actually listening to bob dylan. i couldn’t agree more. i think bob dylan is way overrated, and just happened to be the right band in the right place at the right time (see nirvana). call me a traitor to my generation, but there are several bands/ pop culture events that i just don’t get, and/or think are way overrated. and because i’m always a fan of a good deal, i’m going to give you a second top ten list for free.
TOP TEN OVERRATED/ I DON”T GET IT POP CULTURE THINGS/PEOPLE
10. Reality TV. If survival is real, then so is wrestling. sidenote: why do they need writers for a reality tv show?
9. Horror/ Vampire movies. one makes it big, thirty more will follow.
8. Celebrity Babies. ugh, i feel stupid for having typed those letters together.
7. Computer animation movies. i think the magic wore off after shrek. i’m just not really impressed anymore.
6. Prince. quick, name three people you know that own a prince album.
5. Neil Young. is it just me or does he look like every police sketch of a deadbeat dad? and do you actually know anyone outside of the pacific northwest that lists him as a favorite? art teachers don’t count.
4. American Idol. although i do like watching the would-be karaoke tryouts, i have an issue with forcing the public to recognize someone as famous. also, do you really need to win to get a record contract? not really. it’s a pointless competition.
3. Entertainment news. “All the entertainment news you need to know”. really? click.
2. (tie) Radiohead/White Stripes. It’s going to be tough to explain to our kids how this was the music for our generation supposedly.
1. Soccer. Read previous notes.
what else is there…
oh yeah, so i finally got my record player up and going so i can now listen to all of my old records. i feel like a real musical elitist now. i can say that some stuff does sound way better on a vinyl than cd or mp3, but im not sold on all types of music. jazz: yes. ska: yes. captain and tenille (yes my dad actually bought that record) a definite no. i do have to say that it was cool last night to throw on some old duke ellington records and just chill for a few minutes before i went to bed. last night was def a peaceful night’s sleep until the plant lady’s car alarm went off at 3am. but as far as vinyl goes, i’m sold. i’m taking inventory of the records i have soon (for insurance purposes) i’ll post what i have sometime in the future, it’s a pretty impressive list, mainly because dad had an awesome collection from back in the day.
and speaking of music…
anyone who has actually read my blog for a while might remember that i’ve been working off and on for a while on writing music with the hope that eventually i can record my own cd.
well, i’ve ranted enough today. the kiddos are calling and my lunch break is up. to all the bloggers out there, feel free to vent on whatever.
one love, one heart.